North Beach has progressed to round three of the FFA Cup after beating Wembley Downs five goals to one. 

Goals from Benny Reynolds (2), Sebastian Brekke, David Kelliher and Ross Westwood sealed the victory against the team who play in the division above.

The first half was cagey as both sides looked like scoring, with the opener coming towards the end. 

A brilliant long ball from Jacob Felstead took both centre-half’s out of the picture, and Reynolds broke away, slotting the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

Benny Reynolds with the opening goal. Photo: Phil Restifo.

The second half started with an early Wembley goal, leaving 40-or-so minutes for the boys to respond. 

It didn’t take long for Reynolds to put Beach ahead again. After receiving a toed pass from Kelliher, he touched the ball onto his left foot and slotted it to the keepers right.

Then the floodgates opened.

Captain Chris Judge drove a low cross into the box, and Reynolds flicked the ball across the face of goal to Westwood, who guided it into the bottom left corner. Brekke scored the fourth shortly after.

Then Kelliher, who was unmarked on the right-wing, was picked out by Reynolds with a perfectly placed ball in front, which he hit first time to the keepers left, making it five for the Beach.

The convincing win was paired with a great all-round performance from the team in very hot weather.

Team summary

GK: Jackson Hughes

Def: Torren Dilleti, Aaron Roberts, Luke Wearing, Jacob Felstead

Mid: Chris Judge (C), Kaimon Parker, David Kelliher, Luke Aitken

Fwd: Sebastian Brekke, Benny Reynolds

SUB: Ross Westwood, Don Rheeders, Kitson Catalfamo, Jake Dean, Harry Richings

Captain Chris Judge put in a solid performance. Photo: Phil Restifo.

Jackson Hughes was solid in goal, he commanded his box well making some quality saves and looked comfortable on the ball when in possession.

The backline played very well, with Torren Dilletti and Felstead driving forward from the full-back positions playing many balls forward and into the box. Don Rheeders came on in the second half for Diletti and held the position well. Aaron Roberts and Luke Wearing were solid together at centre-half. With Roberts making strong challenges and Wearing with brilliant distribution, they made it hard for Wembley to threaten the goal.

Aaron Roberts clearing the ball. Photo: Phil Restifo.

The midfield was bossed by Judge and Kaimon Parker, both putting in an honest shift and maintaining the energy throughout the game. Judge put in a man of the match performance, making sure Beach was always on the front foot.

Kelliher and Aitken kept the supply coming down the flanks during the first half. Westwood came on at half-time for Aitken and got into good positions up front leading to his goal. Towards the end of the game, Kelliher dropped back into a more defensive role, but that didn’t stop him from going forward and getting the final goal.

Leading the line was Reynolds and Brekke who looked like a lethal partnership as the game went on. Brekke used his strength to fend off the Wembley defenders, and his ability on the ball was well demonstrated. Kitson Catalfamo, towards the end, replaced him. Reynolds scored two and assisted two. The numbers speak for themselves!

Seb went straight to the showers after coming off. Photo: Phil Restifo.

Post-match comments

Coach Stephen Critchley said the win was huge for the team.

“[Wembley] started stronger, but maybe we gave them too much respect as they are in the Prem,” he said.

“Once we adapted to their formation we started creating chances and then completely blew them away second half.

“Superb team performance and a special thanks to Jake and Harry who didn’t get on, two great young players who will get their chance.”

Beach will face Olympic Kingsway in the third round.