Beach brought home all three points from their trip to Rockingham, with a 3-2 win against Port Kennedy.

Another second-half comeback sees Beach move into 4th on goal difference, three points behind league leaders Peel.

Beach was on the front foot early on with Benny Reynolds having a good chance to open the scoring within the first minute. He would have another chance two minutes later but was not able to capitalise on it.

In the first 15-minutes, Beach went on the break a few times with good attacking opportunities but was let down by the final ball – more than often over-hit. The pitch itself is very compact compared to Charles Riley.

By the 20th minute, the game had settled into a back-and-forth rhythm in the middle of the park. Neither side making any great goalscoring chances, turning over the ball in a very tight midfield.

But the deadlock would be broken in the 24th minute after a dangerous ball into the box found an unmarked Benny Reynolds. His header was likely going wide, but before going out it hit an unsuspecting Port Kennedy defender who put it into his own net. Beach was up 1-0.

The game settled back into its rhythm, but Port Kennedy started to look more threatening going forward. Which would be capitalised on in the 38th minute.

A ball into the box isn’t closed down, and the Port Kennedy player strikes it across the goal sending the ball in off the right post levelling the game.

Still in! Photo: Jack Stirling.

Five minutes later, Port Kennedy was awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge in the box. Jackson Hughes guessed the right way but was not able to get down fast enough to get something on the ball. Port Kennedy led 2-1 going into half-time.

More intensity and harder pressing play were needed in the second half to secure any result from the game.

About 20 minutes would pass before the next goal of the game. Luke Aitken, outside the box, smashed the ball into the crossbar which drove it past the line equalising the game again. 

The hard pressing worked well again, with Beach getting on top of Port Kennedy before they could fruition any good attacking chances. In the 26th minute of the second half, this would result in Beach taking the lead.

Beach won a corner and Luke Aitken put a good ball into the box, which was met by Luke Wearing who headed it past the keeper, scoring what was the eventual winning goal.

Port Kennedy almost equalised again in the 38th minute but did not capitalise on the opportunity. Beach held on for the last 10-minutes to secure their fourth win of the season.


Beach continued to use their 3-5-2 system, and yet again it proved to be effective in securing a result. Kitson Catalfamo and Ross Westwood managed the wing-back role well, providing defensive support for the three centre-halves meanwhile providing an attacking threat from the wings. The compact pitch made it harder for the midfield to find time on the ball, but by the second half they had figured out the tighter space. 

Another game where Beach played well, but small errors in the opening half saw them trail into half-time. Once the intensity and pressing upped in the second half, Beach managed the game well. 

Coach Stephen Critchley says Beach dropped of towards the end of the first half, making two mistakes resulting in the late goals.

“We lifted the intensity again second half and our superior fitness got us over the line,” he says.

“Let’s not forget to mention that strike from Luke Aitken, which set us up to then pinch the three points with Big Luke’s header.

“We have a lot of self belief at the minute, it’s great to see. We have to keep this run going.”

Team news

Line-up: Hughes, Lundie, Di Carlo, Felstead, R. Westwood, K. Parker, Wearing, Aitken, Catalfamo, Reynolds, Cross

Subs: Brekke, Kelliher, Richings, Judge, A. Westwood

An unchanged starting 11 that beat East Perth in the cup a week earlier. The only rotations were for the bench, with Seb Brekke, David Kelliher and Ali Westwood returning to the squad.

Around the grounds


PKSC 0-2 NB Reserves

We wish Lachie Emery a speedy recovery after being taken to hospital when suffering a horrible knee injury during the Reserves game.

NB 3’s 3-2 Kingsley Westside (Metro Nth Div 3)

NB Masters 0-4 Ellenbrook (Nth Div 2)

NB O45’s 5-3 Woodvale (North A)

NB 045’s 1-1 Perth City (North C)


NB 1’s 0-2 Sorrento (Metro Nth Div 1)

Quinns 2-0 NB 2’s (Metro Nth Div 3)